ShapeShapeauthorShapechevroncrossShapeShapeShapeGrouphamburgerhomeGroupmagnifyShapeShapeShaperssShape

US and Canadian Hog Inventory Down 3 Per Cent

by 5m Editor
21 August 2009, at 10:00am

US - This publication is a result of a joint effort by Statistics Canada and NASS to release the total hogs, breeding, market hogs, sows farrowed, and pig crop for both countries within one publication. This information was requested by the US hog industry to provide producers additional information about potential hog supplies. US inventory numbers were previously released on 20 August 2009.

US and Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs for June 2009 was 78.2 million head. This was down 3 per cent from June 2008 and down 1 per cent from June 2007. The breeding inventory, at 7.35 million head, was down 3 per cent from a year ago and down slightly from last quarter. Market hog inventory, at 70.8 million head, was down 3 per cent from last year but up 1 per cent from last quarter. The pig crop, at 35.9 million head, was down 2 per cent from 2008 but up slightly from 2007. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 3.71 million head, down 4 per cent from last year.

US inventory of all hogs and pigs on 1 June 2009 was 66.1 million head. This was down 2 per cent from 1 June 2008 but up 1 per cent from 1 March 2009. The breeding inventory, at 5.97 million head, was down 3 per cent from last year and down slightly from the previous quarter. Market hog inventory, at 60.1 million head, was down 2 per cent from last year but up 1 per cent from last quarter. The pig crop, at 28.5 million head, was down slightly from 2008 but up 2 per cent from 2007. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 2.97 million head, down 3 per cent from last year.

Canadian inventory of all hogs and pigs on 1 July 2009 was 12.1 million head. This was down 7 per cent from 1 July 2008 and down 18 per cent from 1 July 2007. The breeding inventory, at 1.38 million head, was down 5 per cent from last year and down slightly from last quarter. Market hog inventory, at 10.7 million head, was down 7 per cent from last year but up 2 per cent from last quarter. The pig crop, at 7.3 million head, was down 6 per cent from 2008 and down 8 per cent from 2007. Sows farrowed during this period totaled 738,500 head, down 7 per cent from last year.

Further Reading

- You can view the full report by clicking here.