ShapeShapeauthorShapechevroncrossShapeShapeShapeGrouphamburgerhomeGroupmagnifyShapeShapeShaperssShape

Pirbright investigation underway, sabotage or terrorism not ruled out

by 5m Editor
5 August 2007, at 12:02pm

UK - Whilst failings at Pirbright are a possible cause of the foot-and-mouth outbreak, DEFRA secretary Hilary Benn has said that the Government had not yet ruled out sabotage or terrorism.

Speaking on BBC News 24, Mr Benn said he wanted to stress that while Pirbright had been named a possible source of the infection, it had not yet been confirmed. He said to that end people were going into Pirbright today (Sunday) to investigate whether or not procedures had been followed.

He also said that four other suspected cases of the disease had now been ruled out following clinical checks. However, he urged people to remain vigilant and praised the industry for its co-operation so far.

During the interview, Mr Benn confirmed vaccine and use of the army would be a possibility if it became necessary.

5m Editor